Gateway Membership Class
Class Schedule: Wednesdays, October 7 - November 11, 6:15-7:45 p.m.
Gateway is offering a six-week church membership class this fall on Wednesdays, October 7 through November 11, from 6:15-7:45 p.m. Although there are several reasons church membership is valued at Gateway, here are a few:
First, becoming a member is a step of faith that allows attendees to say, “I’m in!” Any great movement of people involves commitment. Because God has commissioned the church to express the most important message since the beginning of time, we believe we need committed people who want to travel together, as we connect people to Jesus Christ and to one another.
Secondly, church membership allows the pastors and staff to know who they are responsible to lead spiritually. Acts 20:28 says, “Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood.” This Scripture text implies that church leaders are held accountable for how they care for God’s people. Without a membership commitment, church leaders may not know for whom they are specifically accountable.
Thirdly, church membership allows a church to effectively delegate roles of service for the fulfillment of its mission. Ephesians 4:16 says, “From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.” As the visible church forms, unity and strategic fulfillment of God’s Great Commission to make disciples can occur, as each one does his or her part.
Because church membership is an important step of faith, please consider joining our next membership class:
Wednesdays, October 7 - November 11, 6:15-7:45 p.m.
Click here to register online.
Membership Class Q & A
1. What is the purpose of the class? By attending each session of the membership class, you will meet many of Gateway’s staff, learn about our history and beliefs, and have an opportunity to commit to the church’s mission.
2. What do I need to take to the first class? Bring a Bible and a pen.
3. Is there childcare? Kidway Jam is meeting on Wednesdays during the same time as the class. Kidway Jam is for ages 3 through 5th grade. Nursery is also available for younger children. Please make sure to indicate (on the membership registration form) the number of kids under the age of 3 you will bring for childcare.
4. What if I belong to another church? We will explain how to transfer your church membership at the class.
5. What are the expectations of a member? Our expectations of members include being a Christ-follower and joining a Life Group, but expectations will be explained further in the class. You are welcome to come and learn about the church, even if you decide not to commit.
6. Can my kids become church members? This membership class is for those who are age 18 and up. However, Gateway’s youth ministry does provide a membership class for teens.
If you have additional questions, contact Mike Barnhart, Life Group Director (MBarnhart@gatewayepc.org / 419-423-5947).